Easy Tomato Sauce
Whenever we have guests over I invariably go to this recipe for a fool proof, delicious tomato sauce. It comes out spot on each time with very little chance for failure. Since Andrea is the master chef in our family this is usually what I turn to when in the kitchen. Served over pasta you have a perfect meal for children and adults alike - both will indulge most willingly. And your family and friends will be asking you for the recipe...which is easy enough for anyone to master!
1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes (preferably organic)
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
2-3 leaves basil, torn
1/2 - 1 tsp of sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Start with your saute pan (non stick is ok) pour in your olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Saute that mixture on low heat until the onions are very soft (about 15 minutes).
2. Pour in your can of tomatoes and turn the flame to medium high. Add your basil, sugar and salt and pepper to taste and start breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon or fork until your lovely mixture is nice and blended. It will be starting to boil at this point.
3. Turn the flame back to low and simmer your sauce uncovered until reduced by 1/3 (about 20 minutes). If you find it is too thick you can always add a bit of water. Taste for seasoning and adjust anything you need more of (remember to start with less seasoning as you can always add more later).
4. Blitz the sauce using a hand blender direct in the pot, a food mill, or transfer to a blender or food processor to create the most delicious tomato sauce.
5. Serve as a sauce for you pasta or any recipe calling for Tomato Sauce. Grate Parmiggiano-Reggiano on top. Keeps well covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.